Deciding what type of driveway to lay down for your home is a difficult decision. There are several options to choose from such as asphalt, concrete, pavers, or brick driveways.
However, the most common are asphalt and concrete, so we have listed the advantages and disadvantages of each. Check out everything there is that you need to know involving cost, cure time, maintenance and more.
Asphalt Advantages / Concrete Disadvantages
- Usually, the most important thing to consider is cost. Asphalt will certainly cost less. It usually runs between two to five dollars per square foot. Concrete is significantly more and ranges from three to ten dollars per square foot.
- Curing Time
- An asphalt driveway can cure and be driven on almost immediately. Whereas a concrete driveway can take up to seven days before being ready to be driven or parked on.
- Asphalt driveways will require a little more maintenance such as sealing as much as once per year; however, if something does go wrong such as a crack, the repairs are inexpensive and quickly done. Concrete driveway requires zero maintenance. However, repair is very difficult and patching a crack can be very noticeable.
- Weather Changes
- Asphalt driveways will shrink and expand with temperature changes preventing stress cracks or cracks in general, meaning little or no repairs. Concrete driveways will crack under extreme pressure and with extreme weather or surface movement.
- Spills / Accidents
- If you have an older car or like to do your own oil changes, oil or gas spills are less noticeable, and will also cause damage. If you decide to go with a concrete driveway, gas or oil spills will stain and be very noticeable to visitors, and cause damage to your concrete.
- With proper maintenance and sealing, asphalt driveways can last upwards up 40 years before needing to be completely redone. Also, a driveway is only as good as the contractor who lays the foundation, and Cooper Paving lays the best foundation for your new asphalt driveway. A concrete driveway can last up to thirty years with ideal weather condition and no accidents or extreme pressure being put on the driveway.
Schedule A Consultation
At Cooper Paving, we pride ourselves on delivering quality paving services that will keep your home looking outstanding for years to come. We have done so for over 50 years. Our business is family-owned and operated. If you are interested in learning more about why an asphalt driveway is the best choice for your home. Contact us today!